Live Forever June

DSC_2077

Location: West River Parkway near the train bridge.

Photo: Kevin Venerus

From the Star Tribune, November 4 2017:

Neighborhood Namesake

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
This statue of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow stands on the slope between Longfellow Gardens and the lagoon above Minnehaha Falls. It and the nearby Longfellow House are the last vestiges of the original Longfellow Gardens. Unfortunately the hands are no longer attached. An interesting account of the travels of the left hand can be found in this page and the links at the bottom of it:

https://simmondskimberly.wordpress.com/2014/03/11/interview-with-frederik-ohles-author-of-the-secret-of-longfellows-hand/

Photo: Martin Schub

Coliseum Building 

IMG_20171204_180645

Location: Lake St. and 27th

This building once housed Freeman’s Department Store inside the Coliseum Building. It opened in 1917, and closed on 1975 with the commercial decline on Lake Street and the growth of national chains and suburban shopping. During the 70’s the basement was rented to notable tenants like The Suburbs and Citizen.

Photo: Carri Musil