The [rail] line was built by the Minnesota Central Railway Company, a forerunner of the Milwaukee Road …” in 1866. It “served as a main line of the Milwaukee Road until a direct route between Minneapolis and St. Paul was constructed in 1880.” Currently, “the [rail] line serves “manufacturers, warehouses, lumber and steel transloads, and grain mills and is based out of one of the last roundhouses in the area.”
Location: 32nd Avenue South, between Hiawatha and Dight Avenues; view is to the south-southeast.
(Sources: Minnesota Commercial/ Minnesota Central Railway Company, UMN Railroad Club, Minnesota Historical Society)
Photo: Ashley Yellick